Thursday, September 1, 2011

The Dapper Dans

There is something magical and timeless about watching a Barbershop Quartet on Main Street in Disneyland.  The Dapper Dans take you back to years gone by through their musical harmonies.  I love how they sing some fun old songs and add some classic Disney tunes in as well.  As I watch them, I'm reminded of a last minute trip that my dad and I took to Disneyland years ago.  We only had one day at the park, but we took a few minutes away from riding the attractions to pause and enjoy a performance.  It does help that the Gibson Girl Ice Cream Parlor (a favorite of mine--yum--fresh waffle bowls) is on Main Street as well, so you can enjoy some ice cream while watching the Dapper Dans perform a few songs.  For several years we were able to see the same members of the group perform (Jim, Shelby, Bill, and Bob) and then in 2006 Disney cast a new group (with some public outcry) and now they cast new groups more often.  Jim is seen in the picture above (I'm guessing that he's filling in for someone).  I miss the old group, they were a classic part of Disneyland for me, but I'm lucky enough to have their CD.  I do still enjoy the Dapper Dans when I have the chance.  There is just something special about this part of Disneyland--it must be the Disney magic.  Check out the times guide next time you are in Disneyland to see if you can catch a performance too!

No comments:

Post a Comment